Chicken and Rice SoupUse your leftover chicken for this satisfying soup recipe. Watch our video on how to fabricate a whole chicken with Chef Bill Briwa. Try our chicken salad and chicken broth recipes.
Makes 6 Servings (1/2 gallon)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup large dice onions
- 1/2 cup large dice carrots
- 1/2 cup large dice celery
- 1 bay leaf
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 2 legs and 2 thighs chicken meat, reserved from making the broth
- 2 cups brown basmati rice, cooked
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste if necessary
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a medium soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, and bay leaf and sauté over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until lightly fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring to a simmer, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add the reserved chicken leg and thigh meat from making the broth, along with the rice and the parsley, and simmer for about two minutes to combine.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper and serve.
Per serving: 221 CALORIES, 14 g PROTEIN, 20 g CARBOHYDRATES, 2 g FIBER, 9 g TOTAL FAT (2 g saturated fat), 332 mg SODIUM, 35 mg CHOLESTEROL