No matter which came first, the chicken or the egg, one thing is certain: Americans eat a lot of eggs. They seem to go into just about every recipe we make, they’re great for breakfast, and, when hard-boiled, they’re a healthy, portable snack. Our deviled eggs are a great way to use up some of the eggs you colored for Easter, but they’re also perfect for a summertime picnic or party. Just be sure you get those hard-boiled beauties back in the fridge within two hours of cooking.
- Pushing the yolks through a wire mesh sieve gives the blended yolks a very smooth consistency, perfect for putting through a pastry bag. But you can always simply mash them with a table fork and spoon them into the hollows of the whites.
- Smoked salmon deviled egg variation: Omit the mayonnaise, mustard, salt, and pepper. Mix the following with the egg yolks: 1/4 cup minced smoked salmon, 1 tablespoon chopped chives, 1 1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish, and 1/4 cup sour cream or non-fat Greek yogurt.
Watch our video CIA’s Chef Bill will show you how buy and work with fresh eggs, as well as the secret to making perfect hard-boiled eggs >
Makes 16 halves
- 8 hard-boiled eggs*, peeled and cooled
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Slice the eggs in half lengthwise, carefully scoop out the yolks and place yolks in a medium mesh sieve, leaving the whites completely intact, and reserve.
- Press the yolks through the sieve with the back of a spoon into a medium bowl. Add the mayonnaise, mustard, salt, and pepper, and mix well to combine.
- Fill a pastry bag fitted with a plain pastry tip with the yolk mixture. Pipe the yolk mixture into the empty cavity of each egg white. Serve immediately or store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 hours.
Recipe, per half-egg serving: 64 CALORIES, 3 g PROTEIN, 0 g CARBOHYDRATES, 0 g FIBER, 5.5 g TOTAL FAT (1 g saturated fat), 93 mg SODIUM, 107 mg CHOLESTEROLSmoked salmon variation, per half-egg serving, with sour cream: 80 CALORIES, 4.5 g PROTEIN, 0.5 g CARBOHYDRATES, 0 g FIBER, 6 g TOTAL FAT (1.5 g saturated fat), 98 mg SODIUM, 113 mg CHOLESTEROL