Fruity Granola Bars
Homemade, Easy-to-Pack Goodness
Chef’s Tip: You may substitute different dried fruits for all or any portion of the mixture suggested above as long as the total combined dried fruit amount remains the same.
Watch our technique video on how to cut and pack your granola bars for school lunches.
Makes 16 Granola Bars
- 1 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2/3 cup dark raisins
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped dried pears
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped dried dates
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- Spray a 9- by 13-inch baking pan with vegetable oil. Cut a piece of parchment paper to cover the bottom of the pan and smooth it into place. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine the butter, corn syrups, honey, brown sugar, and salt in a medium-size saucepan and heat to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally just until the butter is melted and incorporated. Cook for a total of about 9 minutes, or until the mixture reaches softball stage.
- Meanwhile, toss together the remaining ingredients in a large metal or glass bowl, ensuring they are evenly combined.
- Pour the hot sugar mixture into the dried fruit mixture and stir to combine using a silicone spatula or wooden spoon.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and, using a rolling pin, press it down to make it level and of a uniform thickness.
- Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake it until the top begins to brown, about 35 minutes. Rotate the tray halfway through baking to ensure even browning.
- Remove the pan from the oven, place on a wire cooling rack, and allow to cool completely. Using a sharp knife, cut into 2 1/2- by 3-inch bars.
Per serving (one granola bar): 413 CALORIES, 5 g PROTEIN, 55 g CARBOHYDRATES, 4.5 g FIBER, 20 g TOTAL FAT (9.5 g saturated fat), 105 mg SODIUM, 38 mg CHOLESTEROL