Mixed Grain PilafThe Culinary Institute of America’s Mixed Grain Pilaf is a hearty addition to your holiday table.
Makes 6 cups, approximately 10 to 12 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, minced
- 3 1/2 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup red rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 3/4 cup toasted pecan pieces
- 3 scallions, sliced thin on a bias (optional)
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Add the minced onion and sweat for 2 to 3 minutes or until aromatic, but without browning.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms and sweat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the barley and red rice and stir to coat with olive oil.
- Add the bay leaf and vegetable stock. Season the liquid with salt and pepper to taste. Cover tightly, bring to a boil, and then immediately reduce to a gentle simmer.
- Simmer for 40 minutes. Add the bulgur, stir to combine, and return to a simmer. Cover with the lid and remove from the heat.
- Allow the pan to sit off the heat, covered, for 15 minutes. Add the toasted pecans and scallions and fluff with a fork to combine. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately.
Per serving: 187 CALORIES, 4 g PROTEIN, 26 g CARBOHYDRATES, 4.5 g FIBER, 8 g TOTAL FAT (0.5 g saturated fat), 98 mg SODIUM, 0 mg CHOLESTEROL