Pizza with a French Twist: Pissaladière
Cut your pizza with a knife? Watch CIA Chef Bill Briwa's video on how to keep your knife in line with a sharpening steel >
Like this recipe? We've got one more: Pissaladière 2 >
Makes 12 Servings
- 1 pound of Pizza Dough or a purchased ready-made dough (frozen or fresh)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1 pound onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 10 anchovy fillets, packed in oil
- 20 black or Kalamata olives, pitted
Homemade Pizza Dough
- 3/4 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water, warmed to about 105 degrees F
Homemade Pizza Dough
- Combine the yeast, flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment.
- Add the water and mix on medium speed until the mixture forms a smooth dough, about 10 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large bowl and the pizza dough with some of the olive oil. Place the dough in the bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and put it in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly oil a half sheet pan or rimmed cookie sheet.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan over low heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, and thyme and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are very soft (but being careful not to brown them), about 10 minutes.
- Remove the onions from the heat and reserve.
- Once the dough has risen, remove it from the bowl.
- Working on a lightly floured work surface, use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a rectangle the size of the sheet pan you are using to bake it, allowing for a 1/2-inch overhang around the edges of the pan.
- Carefully place the rolled dough onto the prepared pan and turn up the overhang to make an even edge all the way around. Set the dough aside to rest for 15 minutes and to allow it to finish rising.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes.
- Spread the onions out in a thick layer over the dough. Arrange the anchovy fillets in an X, or crosshatch, pattern on top of the onions, leaving 1/2 inch of space in the center of each X. Place an olive upright in the center of each anchovy X. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 130 CALORIES, 4 g PROTEIN, 20.5 g CARBOHYDRATES, 1 g FIBER, 3.5 g TOTAL FAT (.5 g saturated fat), 420 mg SODIUM, 3 mg CHOLESTEROL