Makes 18 pancakes
- 4 large russet potatoes (about 3 pounds, 14 ounces), peeled
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons bread flour
- 3 tablespoons matzo meal
- Vegetable oil (about 2 cups or as needed), for frying
- Grind or grate the potatoes and onion together with a food processor or by hand.
- Transfer to a bowl and toss with the lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
- Transfer to a colander and squeeze out the liquid.
- Place in a stainless-steel bowl. Add the egg, salt, pepper, bread flour, and matzo meal and stir together until evenly combined.
- Heat 1/4 inch of oil in a heavy cast-iron skillet over medium heat to 350 degrees F. Drop about 1/4 cup of the potato batter into the hot oil for each pancake. When the pancakes are medium-brown, and just beginning to crisp, turn them and brown the other side, about 3 1/2 minutes per side.
- Blot the pancakes briefly on paper toweling and serve at once on heated plates.
Per serving of one latke: 194 CALORIES, 2.5 g PROTEIN, 19 g CARBOHYDRATES, 1 g FIBER, 13 g TOTAL FAT (1.5 g saturated fat), 74 mg SODIUM, 12 mg CHOLESTEROL