Sausage and Barley-Stuffed PeppersAfter testing the original version, we decided to add spinach and mushrooms to the filling. It made these peppers go from great to fabulous and added a boost to the nutritional profile, too.
Makes 8 Servings
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian-style turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- One 8-ounce package sliced mushrooms
- 5-ounce package spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 cups marinara sauce (if using jarred, choose low-sodium)
- 2 ounces Parmesan, grated
- 4 red bell peppers, cut in half and blanched
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Bring the broth and water to a boil. Add the barley, cover, and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook the barley until soft but not mushy, about 55 minutes. Set aside and keep warm.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium high heat. Add the sausage and brown. When the sausage is partially cooked, add the onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, and black pepper. Cook until the onion is soft and sausage is fully cooked, about 2 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside and keep warm.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and sweat until they release most of their liquid. Add the spinach to the pan and cook just until wilted but still bright green. Add the mushroom mixture to the sausage mixture. Add the marinara sauce, barley, and half of the cheese.
- Stuff each pepper half with 1 cup of the filling. Cover the stuffing of each pepper with a square of foil coated in cooking spray. Place the pepper foil side down in a baking pan. Bake until the juices are bubbling, about 30 minutes.
- Turn peppers over and remove foil. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and serve.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 286, Protein 18 g, Carbohydrates 31 g, Fiber 6.5 g, Total Fat 11 g, Saturated Fat 1.5 g, Sodium 585 mg