Seared Salmon with Moroccan Spice Crust
Crispy, Juicy, Easy
Searing brings out the best in fresh salmon. Watch our technique video to learn how to cook and sear salmon >
Makes 4 Servings
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon anise seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons light sesame oil
- Four 6-ounce salmon steaks
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- Coarsely grind the coriander seeds, caraway seeds, anise seeds, and black peppercorns in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle.
- In a bowl, combine the spice mixture with the sesame oil and mix well.
- Season the salmon steaks with salt and pepper.
- Rub both sides of each salmon piece with a generous amount of the spice and oil mixture.
- Heat a pan large enough for all of the fish over medium-high heat.
- Add the salmon and cook, turning once, until the fish is browned on the outside and opaque in the center, about 4 minutes per side. Serve at once.
Per serving: 406 CALORIES, 34 g PROTEIN, 0 g CARBOHYDRATES, 0 g FIBER, 29 g TOTAL FAT (5 g saturated fat), 391 mg SODIUM, 100 mg CHOLESTEROL