Variation on New England Lobster Rolls
Mom will definitely feel special when you serve her this delicious Shrimp Roll sandwich on Mother’s Day. It’s so easy to make that you can enlist the kids to help put it together. It’s also perfect for parties and picnics.
Chef’s tip: Shrimp are sold in sizes or “counts” that are expressed in number per pound. For example, shrimp labeled “16/20” indicates the average number of shrimp per pound. Shrimp larger than 16/20 are denoted with a “U” for “under.” U-15 means that there are fewer than 15 shrimp per pound.
Watch our video on how to clean, peel, and de-vein shrimp to make this recipe easy.
Makes 4 sandwiches
- 1 pound jumbo (21/25) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup small-dice celery
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 heaping teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Pinch salt
- Pinch ground white pepper
- 4 hot dog rolls (Eastern style—split on top)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add the shrimp, turn off the heat, and cover. After 2 minutes, remove the shrimp and place in an ice bath until cool.
- Cut each shrimp into four pieces.
- Combine the shrimp meat, celery, mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl. Adjust seasoning.
- For each sandwich, open a roll, brush with butter, and toast on a griddle until golden brown. Divide the shrimp salad between the rolls and serve immediately.
Per serving for shrimp salad, without bun: 106 CALORIES, 16 g PROTEIN, 2 g CARBOHYDRATES, 0 g FIBER, 3 g TOTAL FAT (0.5 g saturated fat), 307 mg SODIUM, 148 mg CHOLESTEROL