Slow Cooker SauerbratenThe Culinary Institute of America’s slow cooker sauerbraten is a delicious take on a classic recipe. Start marinating the meat on the weekend and in three to five days it will be ready for the slow cooker. Perfect for a delicious weekday meal! Watch CIA Chef Bill Briwa make mirepoix for this recipe in our online video.
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 quarts water
- 2½ cups sliced onions
- 8 black peppercorns, cracked
- 10 juniper berries
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves
Makes 10 Servings
- 4 pounds beef brisket
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup crushed gingersnap cookies
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, or as needed
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, or as needed
- To make the marinade, combine the wine, vinegar, water, onions, peppercorns, juniper berries, bay leaves, and cloves in a container large enough to hold the brisket.
- Trim the brisket of any excess fat. Place the brisket in the marinade, cover, and refrigerate for 3 to 5 days, turning it twice per day. Remove the brisket to a plate and reserve the marinade.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over moderate heat. Add the onions, carrots, and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook until the paste is rust color and smells sweet, about 1 minute. Add the reserved marinade and simmer over medium heat until the liquid is reduced by half, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the reduced marinade and vegetables to a slow cooker and add the brisket. Set the slow cooker to high, cover and cook until tender, 6 1/2 to 7 hours.
- Remove the beef and transfer the cooking liquid to a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Add the gingersnaps and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh strainer and season with salt and pepper.
- Slice the beef and serve with the sauce.
Per serving: 461 CALORIES, 61 g PROTEIN, 10 g CARBOHYDRATES, 1 g FIBER, 16 g TOTAL FAT (5 g saturated fat), 120 mg SODIUM, 354 mg CHOLESTEROL