Sour Cream Pound CakeThe Culinary Institute of America’s Sour Cream Pound Cake makes a perfect holiday gift. Cover this poundcake with chocolate cherry glaze or citrus glaze. Watch our video on how to glaze cakes.
Makes 3 cakes
- 4 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 8 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Prepare three 8 1/2- x 3 1/2-inch rectangular loaf pans by lightly spraying the interior sides and bottom with vegetable oil. Sift together the flour and baking powder and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the heavy cream, eggs, vanilla extract, and sour cream in the top of a double boiler and whisk to combine. Heat the mixture to 75 degrees F over the double boiler while gently whisking constantly. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter, sugar, honey, and salt. Mix on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 8 minutes. Scrape the bowl as needed.
- Add half the sifted flour mixture and mix on low speed until just combined, about 1 minute.
- Continuing with the mixture on low, slowly stream in half of the egg mixture. Scrape down the bowl, add half of the remaining flour mixture, and mix just to combine. Slowly add the remaining egg mixture, then the remaining flour mixture, again mixing just until combined, about 1 minute.
- Evenly divide the batter among the three prepared pans. Bake at 350 degrees F until golden brown, 50 to 55 minutes.
- Place the cakes, still in their pans, on a cooling rack allow to cool for 15 minutes. Turn the cakes out onto the cooling rack, and allow to cool completely. Top with your choice of glaze (see the glaze recipes above), allow the glaze to set, and serve.
Per serving with Chocolate Cherry Glaze: 399 CALORIES, 4 g PROTEIN, 54 g CARBOHYDRATES, 1 g FIBER, 18.5 g TOTAL FAT (11.5 g saturated fat), 180 mg SODIUM, 48.5 mg CHOLESTEROL
Per serving with Citrus Glaze: 349 CALORIES, 3.5 g PROTEIN, 50 g CARBOHYDRATES, 0.5 g FIBER, 15 g TOTAL FAT (9 g saturated fat), 174 mg SODIUM, 42 mg CHOLESTEROL