Spoon Bread with Cranberries
Makes 10 servings
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing the dish
- 2 cups whole cranberries
- 1 cup medium-grind yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- Scant 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 3 large eggs, separated
- Zest of 1 orange
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9- by 13-inch baking dish, a very large (11-inch diameter x 2-inch deep) enameled cast iron skillet, or 10 individual (6- to 8-ounce) soufflé dishes. Sprinkle the cranberries in an even layer on the bottom of the baking dish(es).
- Place the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg in a medium bowl and stir with a whisk to combine.
- Whisk the buttermilk together with the melted butter, egg yolks, and orange zest in a large bowl.
- Beat the egg whites in another bowl using a handheld mixer until soft peaks form.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring just enough to blend evenly. Fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish(es). Bake the spoon bread in the center of the oven for about 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown. Cool slightly, and then serve while still warm by spooning from the baking dish.
Per serving: 180 CALORIES, 6.5 g PROTEIN, 24 g CARBOHYDRATES, 1.5 g FIBER, 6 g TOTAL FAT (3.5 g saturated fat), 384 mg SODIUM, 79 mg CHOLESTEROL