Packed with nutrition, this trail mix makes for a healthy snack. Variation: For cinnamon trail mix, add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon to the honey mixture before tossing with the dry ingredients.
Watch our video on how to toast nuts >
Makes 16 Servings
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup blanched slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup walnut halves
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup dried strawberries
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts, pecans, sliced almonds, raisins, and cranberries.
- In a small bowl, mix together the vegetable oil, vanilla, and honey, and pour over the mixture in the large bowl. Toss to evenly coat.
- Spread the mixture in an even layer on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, to an even golden brown, stirring once or twice.
- Remove from the oven and place the baking sheet on a wire rack. Allow to cool completely. Break into chunks and set aside.
- Place a dry sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the cashews, walnuts, pistachios, and almonds. Toss or stir them constantly until they are lightly toasted and aromatic. Remove from the heat and allow them to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the toasted nuts, dried cherries, dried strawberries, golden raisins, chocolate chips (if using), and the chunky oat mixture. Toss to combine.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container.
Per 1/2 cup serving, without chocolate chips: 275 CALORIES, 5 g PROTEIN, 34 g CARBOHYDRATES, 5 g FIBER, 14 g TOTAL FAT (1.5 g saturated fat), 8 mg SODIUM, 0 mg CHOLESTEROL